"Fiction is like a spider's web - attached ever so slightly perhaps - but still attached to life at all four corners. Often the attachment is scarcely perceptible." - Virginia Woolf, "I was the first woman to burn my bra - it took the fire department four days to put it out." - Dolly Parton, "Wash four distinct and separate times using lots of lather each time from individual bars of soap." - Howard Hughes, Four letter words, Four she's a jolly good empress, furry ears flash by, I would do anything four you but I won't do that Meatloaf, Murky Buckets Aplenty, One in four still here While you and I go hand in hand
Esme has been cartwheeling her way across the Cloud and back for 4 years as of yesterday, after being caught by it as she tumbled down through the aether.
Four years no less.
No more either, though there will be of course, another leap into the future by way of the past and present. – nods at the crowds all struck dumb with wonder. Well struck dumb anyway
- Is the only number which is spelled with the same number of letters as its numerical value.
- On maps adjacent countries are usually shown in different colours. What is the smallest number of colours needed? In 1852 Francis Guthrie guessed that the answer is four colours for any map, no matter what shape the countries take. No one has ever found a map that needs more than four colours. But it has been difficult to find a satisfactory proof that only four colours are needed. In 1976 Wolfgang Haken and Kenneth Appel claimed to have proved the four-colour conjecture, but their proof is so complicated, involving hundreds of hours of calculation by a computer, it has been very difficult for other mathematicians to check.
- Four is indicated by the prefixes quadr-, quattr- and tetr-.
- *points sideways* Is the number of seconds contestants have to answer on “15 to 1”
- There are that many feathers in the title of an old film and its 2003 remake.
- The fourth year anniversary is traditionally celebrated with fruits and flowers in the Western world. – *Esme would rather just take the cash thanks*
- In Pythagorean philosophy there are four parts to the soul: mind – opinion – science – sense
- There are four cardinal points: North – South – East – West
- There are four winds.
- There are four phases of the moon.
- Tetraphobia or the fear of number 4 is common in East Asia. You may especially notice Tetraphobia in China, Japan and Taiwan. In these countries four is pronounced the same as the word for “death” (shi). Many apartment and business buildings, hospitals, and hotels will skip the room and floor number four. The same goes for the industry and their military vessels.
- In the Tarot the number four is the card of the Emperor.
- There are four seasons.
- Four-years is the average life-span of an iceberg and tsunamis (tidal waves) are on average only 4 inches high.
- Who doesn’t enjoy a good quartet with a sore thumb? (foursome)
- The number four on a calculator is made up of four light bars.
- There are four suits in a deck of cards,
- There are four wings on a bee.
- Tetra- means four. A tetradite is someone who attaches mystical properties to the number four.
- A tetragram is a word with four letters (like four itself).
- Plus fours are loose baggy trousers which require an extra four inches of cloth in tailoring. This ridiculous male fashion was popular with golfers in the 1920s. No one in the history of the world, or the future to come suits them.
- In a molecule of DNA, just four bases are used to make up the genetic code that determines the distinctive form of every plant and animal. The four bases are called thymine, adenosine, guanine and cytosine, or just T, A, G and C.
- Of all the words listed as ‘vulgar’ in the dictionary, exactly half are four-letter words. – Fuck that shit ya big cock.
- Four Thieves Vinegar – Four thieves vinegar was a secret herb mix believed to be consumed by thieves during the plague in France.
- These herbs were said to be the reason thieves could rob the sick and dead without getting sick themselves. The four herbs were thyme, lavender, sage and rosemary.
- The French for “a four-letter word” is “un mot de cinq lettres” because the most common four-letter word in French has five (cinq) letters.
- There are four bottles of wine in a jeroboam.
- Norway has scored “nul points” (zero points) in the Eurovision Song Contest a record four times (but they have also won the contest three times).
- A quatrain is a poem or stanza made up of four lines. The book “The Prophecies” by Nostradamus (1503 – 1566) contains 941 rhymed quatrains.
I’m not carrying on to forty, no. – sees them all let out a sigh of relief and a small amount of wind.
Many thanks to all the fine and faithful followers who join Esme on her Cloud.
You truly are most appreciated folks ❤ – Esmeralda Cloud